Home / World / A Double Bombing Makes 17 Dead in A Syrian City
Syria

A Double Bombing Makes 17 Dead in A Syrian City

BEIRUT – A double bombing in Idlib city occupied by jihadists in Syria has killed 17 people, including four children, a war observer said Monday.
The first explosion was caused by a car bomb in the main city of the Idlib region, said the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights.
After ambulances arrived at the site, a motorcycle bomb then exploded, the UK-based surveillance group said.
The attack was not immediately claimed, but at least 51 people were injured as per the Observatory updates on death toll.
Idlib, the last major part of Syria which is still beyond the control of President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, is controlled by an alliance led by former Syrian member of the al-Qaeda chain, Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS).
HTS took administrative control of the entire region last month, after dominating the smaller factions backed by Turkey. The militant Islamic State also has dormant cells in the area.
A local “Government of Salvation” office, an administrative body created by HTS, is in the street targeted by Monday’s attack.
Idlib is protected from a massive regime offensive since September by a buffer zone agreement reached between Russia, the regime’s ally, and Turkey, rebel support.
But he was hit by sporadic shelling of the government.
More than 300 ISIS militants encircled in a tiny region of eastern Syria refuse to surrender to US-backed Syrian forces and try to negotiate an exit.
This development is at the bottom of the EI group in Baghouz village, where militants hide among hundreds of civilians and prevent them from leaving. This may further delay the declaration on IS territorial defeat that Syrian forces backed by the US hoped to do last week.
Someone familiar with the negotiations said the militants were asking for a corridor to rebel-controlled north-western Idlib Province and demanding that they be allowed to leave with the evacuated civilians.
US-backed Syrian forces call for 1,500 coalition troops to stay.
The commander of the US-backed forces in Syria on Monday urged about 1,000 to 1,500 international forces to stay in Syria to help fight the militant Islamic State group and expressed hope that the United States would terminate the Total Withdrawal project.
(Sahar News Monitoring Desk)

Check Also

leader

Iran’s Supreme Leader Rules Out Negotiations With US

TEHRAN – Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Tuesday ruled out negotiations with the …